Move the wearer to the side of their bed. Position the front half of the Jewett brace while the wearer is on their back. The upper pad is 3 fingers lower than the sternal notch.
With the wearer holding the front half of the Jewett brace, roll them, with knees bent and pillow between knees, towards the center of the bed. DO NOT let the wearer twist at the waist. Roll like a log, and keep their back straight (roll their chest, pelvis and legs all at the same time).
Position the back pad of the Jewett brace around the wearer’s back and slide the buckle end under the opposite side of their body.
With the wearer holding the Jewett brace in position, log and roll them onto their back.
Pull the strap from the back piece and latch the plastic piece over the screw to lock it in place. Close the lever on the wearer’s left side to tighten the Jewett brace.
Checking the Fit
- Shoulders, trunk and hips should be in a neutral position.
- The Jewett brace should appear level and symmetrical.
- The Jewett brace should be snug on the wearer’s body.
1. Log roll the wearer onto their side.
2. Drop the wearer’s legs over the side of their bed and assist.
3. Assist the wearer into a sitting position, leaning onto the elbow and forearm on one side.
4. Lift the wearer’s legs onto the bed, staying in the side-lying position.
5. Log roll the wearer onto their back.